Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Bring on the Pain

Being sick while watching a toddler reminds me of being forced to run a marathon with no water and no shoes. Bring on the pain. My child does not yet understand the concept of "no today is a lets sit on the couch and enjoy this lovely glow from the television" kind of day, but expects everyday to be a dance party with fun while singing the alphabet, and trying to get into things that could potentially send ones self into the E.R., if not carefully being watched.

To make this experience as painful as possible, mother nature has literally decided to rain on our parade. Which equals no outdoors. This is another fun learning experience for Autumn. Just because you want to go outside does not always mean you are able to. So what is a mom to do......
My new fun games are that of which a adult would laugh at. I put all of Autumns dirty clothes in a pile and tell her to open the hamper, put the clothes in, and put the hamper back where it belongs. Then I spray Windex  on the table and give her a paper towel to show her how fun it is to rub the Windex away. Now the fact that she finds these new games funny, makes me laugh because it is like training a little house helper for the future. I find it ironic and think " haha, you think this is fun now but just wait till I won't let you watch that lovely glow box you currently hate and force you to use the Windex and put away laundry". It reminds me of that saying, what comes around goes around.
 I have no pictures of amazing chore time but we like to finger paint on rainy days.

Well I couldn't take the sinus pressure and congestion anymore and I had to force myself to go on a expedition that all mom's fear, taking the toddler to a doctor's appointment for mom..... alone.  So with no other adult around to help because it is a weekday. I used my Nedipot one last time, packed the diaper bag full of cool toys, and mentally prepared myself for what could turn into a ultimate disaster. Taking a child to the doctor's office is torture every time but it is ten times scarier to embark when you are the sick one.
Normally I am not one that likes to just sit in the car and wait, but Autumn and I arrived 15 minutes early to my doctor's appointment. Instead of chasing the toddler like healthy Julie would do, I decided to enjoy the locked confines of the car as long as possible.
Autumn sitting on my lap waiting in the car. The steering wheel was super cool.

When it was time to go in, we checked in, ran around for about 5 minutes, and then the light bulb of knowledge lit up in my head. Just give her the dumb cell phone. So I did. You Tube videos of My Little Pony calmed her down for the whole rest of the appointment! I sat her down in a chair even and had time to get weighed and have my temperature taken. Then the whole time during the exam while I was talking about my symptoms, she just smiled and talked a little but was in a chipper mood. Normally I don't just give my child my phone as a distraction but this is one time where I would like to thank Samsung for creating their smart phone. Now she is taking her nap. I took my antibiotic. And hopefully in 24 hours mom will be ready to run a marathon with shoes and water.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment